Kolkata: Voting in the repoll for the Falta Assembly constituency in West Bengal progressed peacefully through the first half of Thursday, with voter participation remaining strong and security deployment significantly increased following the cancellation of the earlier election exercise.
Election officials said turnout reached nearly 43 per cent by 11 am, with long queues visible outside polling stations from the morning hours.
The repoll is being conducted after polling held earlier in the constituency was countermanded following allegations linked to irregularities involving Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs). Authorities ordered fresh polling citing concerns over the integrity of the electoral process.
More than 2.36 lakh voters are eligible to cast their votes in the constituency. The electorate includes over 1.21 lakh male voters, around 1.15 lakh women voters and a small number of third-gender electors.
Polling began at 7 am and is scheduled to continue till evening.
This time, election authorities adopted a visibly stronger security approach.
Around 35 companies of Central Armed Police Forces have been deployed across 285 polling booths. Security presence at booths has been increased compared to the previous round of polling, with additional personnel stationed to maintain order and reassure voters.
Authorities have also positioned 30 Quick Response Teams across the constituency to respond immediately in case of any complaint or disturbance.
Election officials said polling remained peaceful till midday, with no major untoward incident reported.
The atmosphere at several booths reflected a mix of caution and participation.
Many voters arrived early, possibly influenced by the events surrounding the earlier cancelled polling process. Long lines formed outside multiple polling stations as residents turned out to cast their votes.
Political attention on Falta remains high.
Although six candidates officially remain in the contest, the election witnessed an unusual development earlier this week after Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan publicly announced that he would not continue in the race. Since the withdrawal came after procedural timelines, his name remained on the ballot and EVMs.
Other major contestants include candidates from the BJP, CPI(M) and Congress.
The repoll follows weeks of political controversy in the constituency.
During the earlier polling process, complaints emerged from multiple booths alleging interference with voting equipment. Subsequent scrutiny reportedly examined allegations involving unusual substances and attempts to interfere with booth monitoring systems.
The developments triggered wider questions around election management and led to a fresh voting exercise under strengthened arrangements.
Falta has traditionally remained politically significant in South 24 Parganas district, with electoral outcomes in the constituency closely watched by major parties.
For now, the immediate focus remains on turnout and whether the repoll proceeds without disruption through the day.
Officials said monitoring remains active and security deployment will continue till completion of polling and sealing of election materials.
